NewSBLogoPlain.

Stamford Brook

Log in Register

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *

FollowOnFacebook

 A Story From the Stamford Brook House History Project - here

HarryTaverner small

Early in 1914 a young man, Harry Taverner, walked out of his home at 3 Emlyn Road on his way to enlist in the Queen Victoria Rifles, County of London Battalion. The recruitment office was in the old Drill Hall on Stamford Brook Common, where the Territorial Army building now stands. Within a year Harry Taverner would be dead, succumbing to his wounds in a casualty station at Ypres as the Victoria Rifles bore the brunt of the fighting at Hill 60.

Harry left behind a grieving mother, Eliza, in Stamford Brook. She lived here with her sister Mary Elizabeth Kerchmayr. Mary was the widow of a portrait painter Cherubino Kerchmayr who had moved to Chiswick from his native Venice. Mary and Cherubino had lived in Bedford Park till his death in 1903. Mary and Eliza had worked together in the Surrey home of Robert Whitehead, the industrialist and inventor of the torpedo. One of Whitehead’s grandchildren, Agathe, whom Mary and Eliza had looked after as a child, married one of her father’s clients in the Austro-Hungarian Navy. He was a young man called Georg Von Trapp and they went on to have seven children before her early death at the end of the First World War….and the rest, of course, you know.

Back in London, the aftermath of WW1 led to a period of national mourning, and the formation of the Imperial War Graves Commission to create a series of memorials to the vast number of war dead. In Stamford Brook, Harry Taverner’s older brother George later arranged for the inscription “Greater Love has no Man” to be placed on his memorial stone in the Old Military Cemetery at Poperinghe where Harry now lies. By 1920 number 3 Emlyn Road has been sold to the next owners.

Click here to read more about the Stamford Brook House Histories Project: www.stamfordbrook.org.uk/house-histories

See Harry Taverner's entry on the St Michaels WW1 Project www.smaaawwi.org.uk/wwi/l-cpl-h-a-b-w-taverner/

DuchessOfCambridge

Thursday 30th August 2018

The next 'Last Thursday of the Month' drinks will be on Thurs 30th August and as ususal we are at the Duchess Of Cambridge on Stamford Brook Road. 

The agenda will follow the normal random process!  People will arrive through the evening from 7PM but feel free to join us at any point in the evening. Lots of time to discuss the proposed changes to the cycle layout in Stamford Brook and catch up on the progress of the Stamford Brook History Project.   See the article below!   More info on it here: www.stamfordbrook.org.uk/stamford-brook-house-histories 

We have a new map available to play with showing a live feed of all the listed properties in Stamford Brook & Ravenscourt Park.  The map is fully interactive and allows you to click on an icon and pull up a picture and description of the building in question.

The map was put together by data and mapping expert Dan Cookson - @danc00ks0n - using a data set that has been made available to developers by English Heritage.  The map also includes information on the Blue Plaques in the area using data made available by openplaques.org.   Dan's map actually covers the whole of the UK but he has kindly shared the Stamford Brook section with us.

 

Please click the 'Read More' for more information or Click here to see the map in full screen.

Page 1 of 2

Local Weather

Cloudy

10°C

London

Cloudy
Humidity: 96%
Wind: S at 11.27 km/h

Latest Events

No events

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.